Sunday, March 25, 2007

The thing

about sewing cloth diapers, is no matter how butt ugly your sewing is, you have to REALLY booger it up for it not to work.Robby was nice enough to sit in his swing for 45 minutes, while I got some of these sewn up. I just need to finish putting on the foldover elastic, and then when I get my serger, I'm going to sew the inner soaker pads.The color side is the waterproof layer, and on the other side is white microfleece, that's the side that touches Robby's skin. Hopefully the microfleece will act as a wicking layer, drawing the moisture into the removable soaker pad. The pattern is a Chloe Toes diaper pattern. The version I'm making is the pocket diaper. In the back there will be an opening that allows me to stuff the diaper with an absorbent insert. When I finish sewing all the elastic on, I'm going to use a snap press to put snaps on the diaper. I sewed up this style of diaper for convenience, they act alot like disposables, waterproof, once the pocket is stuffed, you just put them on and go! I've used both disposables and cloth and really, cloth isn't that much more of a hassle than disposable. At home I keep Robby in a prefold without a cover, and that helps keep diaper rash at bay. When Robby was a newborn, it was definitely harder because he went #2 a LOT, as all babies do, but now that he's a little older and doesn't go #2 at night anymore, and maybe every other day, it's become a lot easier. I've also found that cloth diapers are MUCH better at keeping messes in. You know those infant #2 blowouts? The ones where poo goes all the way up the babies back, soaking an outfit? The only time I have had those is in a disposable. In a cloth diaper, the worst was I get a little leak. And for laundry, I haven't had too bad of a problem with stains. Especially with breastfed babies, you don't need to scrape off solids or anything like that, their poo is totally water soluble so it just gets washed away, and I have a tiny front loading washer, so you don't have to have anything fancy to get your diapers clean. This post is for those moms who are considering cloth diapers, knitting content to come!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! We use cloth diapers and disposables about 50/50, and really, the cloth ones work great. The only hassel is when we go out, which we do quite a lot, then we use disposabls, and also at night, since they feel wet faster, and we want her to sleep as good as possible.

But boy - those blowouts! We still get them....

How old is Robbie now? Such a happy little guy :)

Anonymous said...

Great cloth diaper. I never got into making these - wish I had but mine are out of the diaper thing now.

Brooke said...

I wish I had time to make cloth diaper covers...well part of it is that I'm still not so skilled with my sewing machine. Anyways, I totally agree that cloth are easier. I had to use disposables when my daughter was first born because all the diapering stuff I had was too big. Poop would always come out of the top of the disposable diapers and caused almost every onesie we have to get premanently stained. I've never had that problem with cloth, ever. The worst mess I've had to clean up is a really mess diaper cover.